Dance Films with Nel Shelby Productions
My wife Nel and I both believe deeply in the preservation and promotion of dance, and we often team up to provide artists with a complete package for their upcoming productions.
My wife Nel’s dance film company, Nel Shelby Productions, makes stand-out video for dance artists every day. It’s amazing to see what she and her team creates, and I’m humbled to be a part of her business. Together, we:
- brainstorm project ideas for any pre-show marketing needs as well as dance films and documentaries
- direct, edit and generate excitement through promotional videos and reels
- film and photograph performances to provide images for press and video for your dance archives
- provide advice to our dance clients to distribute their videos successfully on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo and more
- plan ahead with artistic directors to capture video of important events that they can use at a later date – getting it in the can is the first step!
Working with Nel Shelby on promotional videos for Restless Creature was a joyful and inspiring collaboration unto itself. To see her films take shape over the many months we spent developing our choreographic content, not only helped to define more clearly the truest essence of what I hoped Restless Creature would be, but it ultimately became a mirror of inspiration to the overall work itself.
Nel and I live and work in Manhattan during New York City’s busiest performance seasons, and we move to our summer home in the Berkshires to film and photograph dance at Jacob’s Pillow during the festival season.
For two weeks of the year, we travel together to the Vail International Dance Festival in Colorado to create documentaries of dance in the mountains. At home and through travel, we’ve filmed and photographed countless emerging, established, international, uptown and downtown choreographers, dance venues and presenting festivals.
We’re both so thrilled our daughter Gracie and our son Jack are growing up in the dance world. It’s a rich experience for all of us, and we count our blessings every day.